Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Mountain Bar is Prize Country

http://www.cityofdevils.info/blog/2010/4/12/the-mountain-bar-is-prize-country.html

Monday
12Apr2010
The Mountain Bar is Prize Country

I was listening to Portland, Oregon's PRIZE COUNTRY today when I came across a review by LA's own Etan Rosenbloom, a metal writer who runs Cerebral Metalhead. He pretty much nails it here for Decibel, leaving me time to go check out the happenings over at the Black Boar this evening and recall the good ol' days:

If Prize Country’s second full-length doesn’t immediately transport you back to 1995, you probably weren’t alive in 1995. The Portland band is so reminiscent of noisy post-punk kings Drive Like Jehu and the entire mid ’90s Dischord roster that I feel like I’m living with my parents again when I’m listening to them. And you know what? That’s just dandy. The scrappy vocals, propulsive rhythms and melodic-cum-abrasive guitar charges may be 15 years behind the curve, but this stuff sounds every bit as urgent as Bluetip and Jawbox did ’roundabout my Bar Mitzvah.

No comments:

Post a Comment