Sunday, July 11, 2010

Me, Myself, and iPod 4/28/10: The Silver Seas officially own our souls

Me, Myself, and iPod 4/28/10: The Silver Seas officially own our souls

Posted by David Medsker

The original title of this post was going to be "Free Crowded House!," as in
I have their new single "Saturday Sun," which they briefly made available on
their web site. I'd repost it here, but that just doesn't seem right. Plus,
I'm loath to do anything that HMFIC, who's a lawyer, would disapprove of.
Sorry, guys. For what it's worth, it's good.

The Silver Seas - The Best Things in Life
Their first album, High Society, is one of my favorite albums of the 2000s.
Their new one, Chateau Revenge, isn't far behind, and who knows, it may
eclipse its predecessor. It's not quite as high on the '70s AM radio sound
as the first one, but is yet another first-rate batch of classic pop songs
just the same.

April Smith and the Great Picture Show - Movie Loves a Screen
I just love this girl's voice. Impossibly sunny, and what great pitch. She
doesn't dance around notes - she fucking hits them, hard. And what a sweet
refrain. "I just want to mean something to you." I love a little moon-eyed
optimism. It's a nice antidote to our snark-laden world.

Grosvenor - Taxi from the Airport
Think Joe Jackson's "Stepping Out" covered by Double (of "Captain of Her
Heart" fame), and you're close. Sophisticated synth pop.

Trentemoller - Sycamore Feeling (Remix Edit)
Fans of Hooverphonic and Propaganda, take note. This moody slice of
electro-pop is right in your wheelhouse.

Burning Hotels - To Whom It May Concern
Next time the Airborne Toxic Event is looking for an opening act, they'd be
wise to pick these guys.

Kids of 88 - Ribbon of Light
Is it wrong of me for wishing MGMT's new one sounded more like this?

The Brute Chorus - Could This Be Love?
Attention, Anglophiles. Here's your next UK buzz band. I like this one
because it has a little American swagger in it.

Lawrence Arabia - Apple Pie
Yep, I'm still a sucker for the power pop stuff. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment