Friday, January 27, 2012

BLACK PUSSY live show review @ doug fir


pics by ChrisT

Our aural fixation with the The Pack a.d. took a brief hiatus last year. If they hit PDX in support of 2010′s we kill computers, we missed it. This year’s recorded release, Unpersons, is straight up heat. The kind of hook laden garage-blues-punk-blahblah hybrid that one listen through made me jones for the live show. Glad we made it.

The Doug Fir. Always a quality hang. Set times are posted. Always nice. 10:30 for The Pack a.d. And the opening act is a band called Black Pussy. With that kid of name it has to be hot or flat out gong show. Anything in between would be a waste.
Frankly, the name Black Pussy combined with the appropriate amount of liquor and immaturity is a conversational goldmine.

“You ready to go down for Black Pussy?”
“I’m just here for Black Pussy”
And on it goes. You can imagine.
So. Black Pussy. Let’s get into it.
bp
This band was hella fun. 6 band members that at first glance look like the smartest kid in my high school physics class, or the kids who dealt that kid weed. Songs like “Marijuana” don’t dissuade my initial impressions. All in all, I was pretty taken by Black Pussy (see, it never gets old for me). They were loud enough to pin my eyes in their sockets and left me telling ChrisT he can stay up front all he wants, I was going to hide in the back. Wicked fun. I’d go see them again. Hell, I’ve paid alot more for alot worse.
The Pack a.d. Here’s the deal. 3/4th’s of their recorded output get me crazy. I’m not sitting through this show with a notepad or hitting a set list into my phone like some kind of wanker. These are they type of shows I use to go back 20 years in age and shave a couple more years off of proper liver function.
pack a.d. pdx jan 19
As usual, Maya (drums) is engaging, funny, and just plain rock n roll. Becky Black (guitar/vocals) is always on it. I’d like to see her unwound on stage and getting violent. One can dream. In the end, my memories are mainly of my vision shaking and grainy as I enjoyed the show with the rest of the cool kids (cause if you were there, you are). I pretty much know what Boris Yeltsin felt like at vodka tasting, state dinners, and well after breakfast. But, here are some highlights from the new album
“Positronic”
“Haunt You”
“Sirens”
“Lights”
“Rid Of Me”
Totally hope The Pack a.d. catches a little heat. They make my life better.
The woman screaming for “Blackout” during the encore should run for mayor. As usual, that song live is fire. Soundtrack for bad decision making and failed drug tests.
pack a.d. pdx jan 19_2
Great. Two bands and a venue that brought it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment